getting rid of all those shoulds....

Let’s face it. We are all distorted in some way or another with our style and type of thinking, even if we can’t identify it right at first. My “favorite distortion”  happens to be one I feel that most people identify with: say hello to the Should Distortion of Thinking. How many times can we fall into the trap of thinking, I “should” do this or I “should” do that? There are always so many “shoulds” that will make us the perfect this or the perfect that. Everyone strives to be perfect and that comes with a list of shoulds, correct? NO! This is what those who suffer from the “should” distortion are thinking, including myself. Here’s a piece of fresh air, one that I need to be taking along with countless others. Throw off the norm, be your own person. Be the unique individual you were meant to be! If you spend all of your time planning how you “should be” there is no time to discover who you CAN BE! Let’s be honest, I spend a lot of time thinking of the things I should be working on, but I never get around to them. Sure these “should” goals have good intentions, but that will not get me anywhere! I am realizing I  don’t have time to live because I spend my time planning what I should do and become. And it’s simple, there is not time to progress in the things we could be accomplishing because our minds are focused only on the unreachable should list. How many people are known in history and had their name remembered because they thought “ I should make a difference?” None. It’s those who throw out the should list and find their unique role that lets them make a difference. So here’s a challenge to myself and to you: get rid of all those shoulds and you’ll make time for what you actually CAN BE!

1 comment: